Saturday, July 6, 2019

The Statue of Liberty

Years ago, I interviewed a woman for our yacht club newsletter.  While chatting with her, I noticed a photo of their boat with the Statue of Liberty in the background.  Ever since, I have had the dream of having Blue Moon with Lady Liberty in the background but never thought it would be possible.  Well folks, some dreams do come true.  David, my ever valiant knight, lowered the dinghy and took pictures while I took the boat past.  The launching and recovery were an adventure in themselves.  We both had to time our speeds and avoid wakes from passing ships and compensate for the tidal current.  Happily it all came off perfectly.  The only downside is the picture I took of him in the dinghy didn't work out.  That may have been the time I was avoiding the police boat but that's another story.  Turns out the availability of tickets to actually tour the statue are sold out until September so this is as close as we'll get this trip.
Her torch held high.

As we approached from New Jersey.
Drawing close to the statue.
Even closer.
Lady Liberty up close
Blue Moon on approach.

Ellis Island is only a short distance from Liberty Island.

The best one if you click to enlarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment